Choose your colour:
Translate this site:

Accommodation and Housing Options 

Your personal advisor will help you to look at your housing options and to choose the most suitable accommodation for you. Options include:

  • Supported accommodation within the Young People’s Pathway where you will be responsible for paying your rent and service charges and will sign an agreement to abide by the terms and conditions of the licence agreement.
  • Working with Housing Services to find suitable housing solutions if you are not ready or don’t want to have your own tenancy.
  • Support to remain living with your foster carer under a Staying Put arrangement.

If you are in need of housing, as a care leaver you will be allocated a number of points by the Housing Service depending on your circumstances. That allows you to bid for council properties and as a care leaver, you will be given priority. Further support around accommodation includes the following:

  • You will get help and advice to prepare for independent living by learning key skills through the Steps to Independence assessment as well as practical advice from Housing Services and the Leaving Care team on holding down your own tenancy. You must show evidence that you have learnt these skills before you can move to your own tenancy.
  • If you live in Camden, you won’t have to pay council tax; if you live in another borough your personal advisor will contact the local authority to see if they can offer you any assistance with council tax exemption.
  • When you move to your own home you will get a “Setting up Home Allowance” of up to £2000 depending on your individual needs for items such as appliances or furniture.
  • If you run into difficulties, or face eviction, your case will be discussed at the Young People’s Pathway Panel to see what further support we can offer you and we will work with housing providers to try to make sure you do not become intentionally homeless.


Other support available:

As well as your personal advisor, you can get help and advice from the following:

  • While you live in Camden’s Housing Pathway accommodation you will have an allocated key worker to support you.
  • Your foster carer and/or key worker will help you to develop key practical skills under our Steps to independence assessment so you are able to manage living independently. More information is available here.
  • Camden Housing Options provides a range of housing advice services to tenants and people looking for accommodation, including singles and families who are threatened with homelessness, private tenants, housing association or co-operative tenants and owner occupiers. Specialist advice on housing options and housing rights. Tel: 020 7974 4444
  • New Horizons provides support for vulnerable and homeless youth. Tel: 020 7388 5560


Nav box photo Nav box newsletter Icn nav comp Icn nav video