Deaf Awareness Week
Deaf Awareness Week is an annual event and this year it is from 3-9 May 2021.
There are many events taking place to raise awareness of needs of deaf or hard of hearing people.. Camden Disability Network shares tips and advice on communicating with deaf people.
1. Make sure you have the person's attention before you start speaking
2. Choose a place with good lighting and not too much background noise for the conversation.
3. Face the person you are talking to so the person can lip read
4. Speak clealry using plain language
5. Check whetther the person understands what you are saying
6. Use your usual voice level. if a person is using a hearing aid it wiill seem as if you are shouting. when you raise your voivce.
Have you tried learning British Sign Language?
Here is a video for children by children to learn 50 simple BSL signs